Friday, May 13, 2005

My first semi-bridezilla wedding

Or, the best wedding NOT to be a bride

Alison was a good friend in high school. At times, my best friend. But we didn't keep in touch a ton after we graduated. Our sisters are close friends, so that meant a stronger link. We saw each other a few times a year at first. But it had been a year and a half since we had spoken when Alison called and asked me to be one of her bridesmaids. I said yes!

Wedding planners really are something. Let's just say that this wedding planner managed to get ahold of the the bride's sister's boyfriend (who does NOT own a cell phone) on Chinatown bus. How? She located the bus driver's cell phone number for the bus coming from Washington DC. Let's just say I have some sympathy for cell phones again, after that escapade.

The wedding planner also suggested that Alison's mother put together little baskets for the bathrooms at the reception. The one for the ladies' room was simple: tissues, hairspray, clear nail polish, tampons. Alison's mom wasn't sure what to put into the basket in the men's bathroom. The wedding planner suggested condoms. ("Lots of hook ups happen at weddings!") Well, Mrs. Kistler listened to her: 1 box of magnum condoms in the men's room. Dear me. The funniest part? The box was empty within 2 hrs.

As for the Bridezilla-esque quality to this wedding. After arriving in PA at 1 AM on Thursday night/Friday morning (after several nearly sleepless nights at the Dame thanks to finals and packing all my crap to cart to PA for storage), I was up at 8 the next morning. With shopping, the bridal party luncheon, mandatory matching manicures and pedicures, the rehearsal, and the rehearsal dinner, I didn't come home and get to bed until 2 AM. Then it was 8 am the next day, for hair appointments, makeup, getting ready, lunch, photographs...

Well, let's add in the trolley we took from Alison's house to the church. The trolley driver was crazy and drove at like 60 mph (which, for a trolley, is a bit much!). Then there was the horse and carriage to the reception, and a SIX HOUR reception. (Yes, I admit that I kept thinking, "Can you guys just leave for the hotel yet???").

Oh yes, and did I forget to mention that never in my life have I worn heels before? I managed to make it down the aisle without a mishap, but BOY my feet were hurting a few hours into the night!

I did have a nice time. The food was good, it was awesome and sweet to see Alison so happy, I had a great time hanging out with the other bridesmaids, our manicures and pedicures and the bridesmaids luncheon were super fun... But let's just say, don't expect any elaborate wedding for me! I plan to either (a) elope and throw a party when I get back or (b) get married in a white sundress with bare feet on the beach somewhere.

4 comments:

D said...

That doesn't sound too bad.  I'm glad you had fun.  I can't believe you had NEVER worn heels before.

RedKev said...

FREE CONDOMS!?! Sure beats coming home with a lousy garter.

timjim81 said...

You just know there was some guy who walked into the restroom, looked down, thought about the price of condoms these days, and took the whole box but didn't use one that day.

Valerie said...

dvc, why would someone of my height ever wear heels? they're already uncomfortable, so if i don't need the height, absolutely no reason for them.