Thursday, April 28, 2005

Darn Rice!

Why couldn't I have gone to a normal college, where people date (normally), and it's normal for people to meet in college and get married? Today I noticed the away message of a guy I haven't talked to since high school. (We played viola together in orchestra.) Anyways, all through college he's had these away messages, "I <3>expected to get married when you graduate. Who wants that pressure, particularly if you have things you want to do before you get married, or if you just don't feel like getting married right after graduating college?

So, I don't want either end extreme: at Rice you are weird if you do get married soon after graduating; at places like Wheaton you are weird if you don't. I'd prefer something in the middle. I'd like to be going to more weddings of Rice people. I'd like to have more of my Rice friends happily dating smart, fun, cute Rice guys. (Oh wait, maybe that's the problem...) How easy would it have been for more of us Rice folks to just meet Mr. (or Mrs.) Right in college?

8 comments:

Michael & Tammi said...

just to show you how selfish i am, i thought this was going to be about me...

D said...

Aren't Rice people freakishly abnormal about everything, not just their dating habits?  And isn't that the problem?  Doesn't it come down to the old Groucho Marx joke, "I wouldn't join a club that would have me as a member"?  Anyone willing to put up with one's own freakishness is probably too freaky themselves.  And chill out, you are still incredibly young.  You have plenty of time to find a guy.

Anonymous said...

my friend just told me to read blink. how is it? =) hi val!

Anonymous said...

I think people expecting to get married anytime is weird!

Groucho Marx - "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend... inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

P.S. Mike, I totally thought it was going to be about you, too

Valerie said...

clara, i'm liking blink a lot! i would definitely recommend it

Anonymous said...

yesterday my friend from college got engaged. last thursday my guy friend proposed to his girlfriend of 6 months. im going to be a bridesmaid in the fall. my best friend is talking about love and marriage with her boyfriend. my last boyfriend just started a great relationship. its freaking ALLLLLLLLL around me.

so, excuse my bitterness while i find a hole so i can write in my journal the pains of my heart.

=) =) haha. i'm only 87% joking. ok, i'm going to check out blink. are you going to be in houston this summer?

Rococoaster said...

We're in Austin this weekend, and last night we were chillin' w/ Jay Beck and Clara and some of their friends from UT (God, did I ever feel old...and cool for not being addicted to cigarettes!) Anyhoo, after wards we were talking about dating and people playing games and shit. It just sounds awful. I watched Singles for like the 5th time this week, and was so glad I only dated in high school. 20something dating must blow! If you like someone TELL THEM!!! Or, just lean in and make your move. I mean c'mon! You like him, you've got a pretty good idea he likes you...and i don't mean in a cuddle-bitch effed up using people kinda way either, but hey! Whatever works for you. i'm just REALLY glad I'm married to D, even though he is SUCH a smug bastard and now he looks like a nerdy engineer.

Anonymous said...

"even though he is SUCH a smug bastard and now he looks like a nerdy engineer"

Cohen, I can't remember the last time something made me grin as wide as this description of your husband!