Monday, April 18, 2005

An un-Bendy evening, and less incommunicado

Tonight I went out to dinner at a Mexican place with my three roommates. We have tried to do this since the first week of school in August, but only tonight (with three weeks until we leave) did we pull it together. It was very refreshing (surprisingly refreshing, for a simple evening out). It almost felt like I wasn't in the Bend. I attribute this to the fact that I was out with a bunch of girls. In college I was often hanging out with girlfriends. But here, the girls are few and far between! Girls are just outnumbered in all the grad programs here: business, law, and PhD program. I rarely get to hang out with a group of girls! This is in stark contrast to my high school and college years where I hung out with girlfriends all the time. Take senior year: I don't know how many hours we spent on our couches talking. When I think about it, I'm shocked at how I never get that chance here!

So, goal for next year: be sure to find a group of girlfriends to hang out with on a regular basis.

On the second half of my blog title, I hereby am coming back from being incommunicado the past few weeks. Maybe once a year I get into a bit of a funk, and the past few weeks were my funk for this year. Maybe you know the kind of funk I'm talking about... when the littlest things can make you angry, or make you cry at the drop of a hat, when you really are dragging getting things done, when you just feel generally blah, for unexplained reasons. I pin some of this on the Bend: it's still a small, relatively boring little town and until a few weeks ago it was still snowing. Obviously not all of the funk can be blamed on the Bend and its weather, but I'm always unclear as to the other sources of my funks.

As funks for me go, I fretted over my life goals, faith, career choices, marriage prospects, and the like. Anyways, this funk is coming to an end, as (thankfully) all funks have for me until now. Like I can't tell you how my funks begin, I can't usually explain how they end. I know that it was definitely in recession after I ran into my friends Steve and Jeff (I hadn't seen them for a few weeks) the other night when they were a little bit tipsy, and spending a very entertaining few hours with them. Adding to that the weather getting warm and a clear end in sight for my time in the Bend, and thankfully the funk is lifting (despite a lack of clarity on the fretted-over funk issues). I still hate my cell phone and don't really want to be making a thousand calls, but I promise to be less incommunicado than I have been the last few weeks.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I miss the times on the couch...

D said...

I think there's a funk virus going around.  I miss you.  Even though I've been known to get into a few funks myself, I find myself very intolerant of other people's funks.  Even though I can't explain mine, they make sense to me, but since other people also can't explain theirs, they don't make sense.  I'm not sure, but I think that statement reveals me to be a selfish bastard.  What else is new?

Anonymous said...

To DVC:
i agree. you are a selfish bastard, and SO intolerant of other people's funks...esecially when they live with you! You suck!
- incommunicado