Saturday, May 21, 2005

I suck at waiting...

...At least when it comes to knowing things. If someone tells me they have a secret I'll "find out about soon enough", I go crazy not knowing what it is. I like to know where I'll be, what I'll be doing, what plans are, where exactly I'll be living, NOW. And let's not even discuss cliff hanger season finales!

The worst part is that I suck waiting on information about other people too. I'm always wanting to know where my friends are going to live next, where they are going to move next, etc. For no particular reason except by obsession with knowing what is going to happen in the future.

I hate hearing, "Well, we can't figure out anything until after X." Ack! Why can't it just be figured out now?? The worst is when the "X" is subjective. For instance, "Well, I can't figure out where I'll be next year until I hear back about my admission to my law schools," is pretty much a done deal. There is no possible way for me to know anything. On the other hand, "Well, I can't figure that out until I talk with my husband about it. I don't want to talk to him until he's found a job and is less stressed," drives me up the wall. Vague generalities based on talking to someone "when the time is right" annoy the heck out of me.

I don't know why I'm obsessed with knowing what's going to happen. It's not even that I'm usually worried about things not going right... I'm just obsessed with knowing the information!

The good news is, I've gotten much better about it in many respects! While in the blog entry I probably make it sound really bad, I'm mostly talking about how it used to be. In particular, luckily I've become less obsessive about my freinds' futures. And a good deal less obsessive about my own future. (i.e. I'm not freaking out about where I'll be living come August). Still... tips on how to get over this strange obsession?

1 comment:

D said...

Yeah, waiting for friends to decide when they're going to come visit, if they are going to stay with you, and for how long, that sucks.   ;-)