Wednesday, August 10, 2005

There's no turning back

Today, I have twice been disgusted by the smell of food in my house. (Sorry, fam!) Now to the credit of the chefs, none of this food was cooked poorly. I realized that my tastes have simply changed quite drastically.

Apparently once an employee at an Indian restaurant in South Bend told some of his customers (my friends) that once you start liking Indian food, you can never go back to non-spicy food. I entirely agree with this statement. While I still like some American food, the list is small. Usually now I have to go for food that is much more full of flavor than American food. This is generally available in a large selection of ethnic food, including a lot of Mexican and South American, some Italian (lots of garlic, basil, Oregano, tomatoes, and flavor-full cheeses are necessary, we are not talking spaghetti and acme-brand sauce), lots of East Asian food, Indian food, etc. However, your regular old American food won't cut it. I was thinking back to what I ate every night my sophomore year of college: a piece of chicken breast, some spaghetti and sauce, and frozen vegetables. Yuck I want to gag thinking about eating that now! Rice won't do it for me unless it's thickening a very spicy Thai or Indian dish. Even mashed potatoes or regular steamed vegetables don't cut it.

Alas, this is somewhat distressing; ignorance is bliss, and while I love all the new food, it probably would be easier to live in America and around whtie Americans without a hankering for really flavor-full food. However, now there is no turning back! So, thus continues my quest for more flavor-full cooking talents. I'm going to get some non-American cookbooks from the library right now.

2 comments:

D said...

Your theory is not 100%, however, because I love Indian food, but then I can also be pleased with the blandest possible American food, always eaten without additional salt or spices.

Valerie said...

there's always an exception to every rule, dave... i think you are the exception. ;-)