Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Raking in a haul

Two nights this week I have had the luck of hanging out with Hannah. Luck because we are rarely on the Main Line at the same time. By "hang out" I really mean help her unpack from her year in DC in order to re-pack for her move to New Haven. Being a genius, she is heading to Yale law, to join the ranks of all my other genius friends in various top law, medical, and grad school programs.

I have always been a believer in watching out for other people's junk they don't want. At the end of senior year in college I raked in a gold mine of laundry detergent, dishes, foodstuffs, and the like. Tonight I acquired: a set of red, green, and yellow tin plates (perfectly matching my Pier 1 place mats); an old timey flour sifter; an unopened jar of vanilla; and a set of brightly colored plastic mixing bowls.

I also got a bunch of recipes from Hannah's mother. This was perhaps the most exciting thing (rivaling the plastic mixing bowls), as I aspire to be Hannah's mother. She is the best cook/chef/baker I know. I have rarely tried any of her creations more than once because there is so much variety, and everything I've tried has been downright fantabulous. If I ever am a housewife, I aspire to kitchen skills of her caliber.

We watched Spellbound while we packed. For those of you who haven't seen it, I highly recommend it. You'll never appreciate how un-nerdy you truly are until you hear from middle schoolers who study the dictionary six hours a day to learn spelling words. You'll also meet some truly freakish people. For instance, one Indian family was going to pay to feed 5,000 hungry people in India if their son won the national spelling bee. Talk about pressure. "The hunger of 5,000 people is riding on this word, son." The kid didn't win. So did they not feed all those people? I don't like to think about that.

1 comment:

D said...

My favorite part is when the kid does his "robot" voice.