Monday, October 11, 2004

my racist friends

Haha, I'm going to relate a conversation some of my Rice friends and I had last year. This conversation exemplifies two great things about my friends: (1) their openness about race chatter, and (2) their biting sarcastic manner. Feel free to blast us on it, not everyone appreciates our lude remarks that are at face value pretty racist. We don't take it as racist, though, because we're not a bunch of white people making racist jokes. Maybe that's a double standard, but that's a topic for another blog entry. Onto the short scene...

Characters:
me (though I don't have a line in this conversation)
"Stumpy" (perhaps by that nickname you can already get a gist of our tone with each other) -- small Chinese girl
Matt D -- half Mexican, half white
Ian White -- 1/4 American Indian, 3/4 white

Setting: Leaving Darband, fabulous Persian restaurant, to get Boba (pearl milk tea) and play Chinese checkers. A frequent activity for us, this is a typical smack talk pre-competition convo. [Note: I don't remember all the actual lines, so this is my vague reconstruction.]

Chris (to Matt): oh Mex, go back to the fields already.
Matt D: Shut up! Your ancestors would be ashamed of you!
Ian: Yeah, Stumpy, are you ready to lose your people's game? [referring to Chinese checkers]
Chris: You mean like your people lost their land, Ian?

No comments: