Monday, October 11, 2004

My dual image here at the dame

It's come to my attention that I have a particular image here at the dame. Granted, I guess I had an image in Houston too, but that didn't seem to bother me because it seemed like people had the right image, more or less. But here, not so much.

First, yesterday morning my friend John introduced me and said I was "dangerous". I gave him some flack for this. Am I really dangerous? I doubt any of you Houston/Rice friends would call me dangerous. You might say I'm obsessed with race issues, stubborn at times, hardcore about what I think, etc., but I doubt "dangerous" would come up. But then I remember, most of my Houston friends are either (a) liberals, or (b) open minded conservatives who are used to being around liberals. I got the label "dangerous" because John is a conservative (though not super hardcore about it) and has heard me engage in way too many political discussions. And since I'm usually one of the only liberals in the discussion, somehow this gets me dubbed "dangerous". (John later ammended his statement to say that I just "engage in good conversation". Euphemism at its best). Anyways, I don't particularly like this "dangerous"/flaming liberal image, but I don't think that's something I'm really going to be able to change.

Second, I have noticed people here think I'm "nice". (ahem, Steve) What the crap?? I mean, sure, I like to be a nice person. But in my book, people who get the label "nice" are usually nice and B-O-R-I-N-G. I know many people who are nice. Super nice. Oozing nice-ness. But that doesn't make them interesting, or engaging, or fun to be friends with. And nice people usually wouldn't hold up with my friends, Rice friends or Ecclesia friends. It's not that we're not nice... it's just that we like the joking sarcasm/cynicism too. And boy does it come out. Whether it's making fun of Matt D's hair, or David M's whacko "smoothies" (like cottage cheese, raisins, peanut butter, and yogurt), or Michael R's lazy-ness in trashing his book (prompting the funniest comment from Carrie), or whatever. Basic take away: I like my sarcastic, biting friends. I need to lose this "nice" image ASAP. I don't want to be considered one of those boring, dull, "nice" girls. Blech.

Please leave suggestions in the comments of how I can shed the "dangerous" or "nice" images.

5 comments:

Dallas said...

Way's To Shed Niceness:

- Insert Motherfvcker into every conversation. "That motherfvcking lettuce wrap is delicious!"
- Buy a Nader/Camejo t-shirt and wear it to a Democrat meeting
- Buy a Clinton shirt and wear it to a Republican meeting
- Four letters: Goth
- The next time someone calls you "Nice", give them some off-center compliment that will make them questions themselves "Thank you, and you have a great (deliberate pause as you look at their face) personality!".


Or, be dangerous. Flame on, my liberal friend.

Anonymous said...

Hey Val,
I just realized I didn't clean up after I left yesterday. Sorry! The food was awesome, though. You should start charging me and Jeff. We also cleaned out your cookies. Know that you are always welcome to however much peanut butter, canned tuna, apples, potatoes, cauliflower, cereal you want.
Are you going to be here on Friday night? My sister's coming in, so you can meet her. Star of India, on me. Of course, I'll find other ways to return the favor :)
Aaaaand, I can't believe you would ever think being nice is a bad thing! There are a whole host of other real flaws out there, nice isn't one of them.
Well, see ya!
Steve

Rococoaster said...

Well Val, from one formerly nice girl ("sweet" is so much worse, b/c it also implies "cute")to another...swearing.
It works, baby. The problem is, it's a lot like crack; you just can't get enough and you can't quit either. Also, not shaving and not wearing makeup sure worked for me in college. I was "Fun" or "crazy", but never the dreaded "nice". And I'm still not, dammit!

Valerie said...

can someone tell j wakehum i need to borrow some of her old clothes so i can go goth?

Carrie said...

I am always the nice girl...and have always hated it. Thanks for not thinking of me like that and J was goth?? WHHHAAAAA????