Sunday, October 24, 2004

A great week

(Or, What I miss about Houston)

Co, Michael, and Tammi got me... with BALLOONS! That warm (unexpected) welcome and the lively dinner at Momong's (where we managed to be talking about something inappropriate every time the waiter came by) foreshadowed the fabulous time I'd have.

Within the first 48 hours I ate tons of really good food: Vietnamese (Momong), Thai (from somewhere in the village), and good Tex-Mex (both Noche's and Chuy's).
And not to be left out, I also managed to get in some good Indian buffet (out on Hillcroft, where else?) and good vegetarian (aka The Hobbit) while in town, not to mention good homecooked meals at 3816 Community and 9449 Briarforest.

Friday morning I drove into town on Westpark. I never get to make that drive in the morning. I like the drive, because it takes me through all different aspects of Houston, poor and rich. In the morning, there are people all around, up and about. Chalk it up to my weird-ness, but it was a treat to make that drive.

At the ADVANCE meeting, I got choked up... Why, you ask? I was overwhelmed (with happiness!) to be in a room with such a diverse bunch of people. And not only that, but they actually appreciate diversity and work towards it. And they encourage and support me in my sociological work on race relations. And they immediately understand when I tell them about frustrating situations here at the dame.

I wore flip flops the whole time.

In the middle of his sermon on Sunday, Chris goes, "oh hey! Valerie Lewis is here!" And my three-year-old boyfriend hadn't forgotten me (props if you figure out which guy in the picture is the three-year-old), I got a free copy of The Message, and I heard all kinds of good news from Ecclesia friends.

At my old house (my house from the summer), Kristen was all smiles when she said "Welcome home!" as I walked in. The warmth of that house, it is like home. I made it just in time for the end of the six-hour Pride and Prejudice movie series, which I think is even better than the book.
I had a fun and particularly inspiring time with Geneva. Why? Geneva and I were barely friends when we both were at Rice/in Houston. We were friends of friends, at best. But we clicked, and it feels like I've known her for a long time, and like I can trust her, and relate to her. In the midst of my less-friend-full life here at the Dame, I was inspired to remember that some friendships come very easily and quickly.

I hung out at Taft, read a lot, got sucked in to a new reality TV show (The Biggest Loser), discovered what it was like to not check email, lamented my lack of a significant other (and lamented the prospects of being an old maid sociology professor), enjoyed the Tuesday night nubgrubber-birthed small group, and cooked soup.

Mostly, I hung out with friends, many of whom are like family. I can't sum up "friendship" in a succinct definition, but one thing I have come to appreciate since leaving many friends is that with good friends, I am free to be me, however quirky, strange, boring, opinionated, or frustrated I may be.

In H-town, I felt like ME again.
Thanks (even if I didn't see you).

2 comments:

D said...

It was great having you.  But it just reminded us how much we miss you.

Carrie said...

Again, I HATE that we missed seeing you but so glad you had an awesome time!