Tuesday, December 14, 2004

My people WERE meant for this?

In July I wrote an entry about how white people just weren't meant to live at lattitudes like those of Texas. (See My people weren't meant for this). Well, now comes the hard truth: it's winter here, and if my people weren't meant for the scorching sun, it means we were meant for this. This = sub-freezing weather, snow, blistery wind...

If the snow just fell down from the sky, that would be fine. But snow in the Bend has a mind of its own. It likes to fly horizontal. Yes. Horizontal. It's windy like a bugger here, so instead of snow falling down on you, it flies right at you. That wouldn't matter, but when the flakes are big and a little ice-like, it feels like you're getting little paper cuts all over your face.

Next to where our printers are there are some big windows, at by these windows the snow flies straight up. It's in a corner of the building and somehow the air currents create a vaccuum updraft there, and so the snow constantly flies straight up. If I stood out there, instead of getting snow down my scarf, I would get snow up my nose. Interesting thought.

For some reason I think snow would be so much more tolerable if there were mountains. Then it's all majestic, and maybe the majesticness could help me overlook the wet jeans/ice on car/slippery walk to school/windburned cheeks aspects of the snow. Then again, I probably just think snow would be cooler in the mountains because I love the mountains, so anything there is better by association.

If one more person says to me, "But you grew up in Philadelphia! You should be used to the cold!" I might slap them. That's like saying, "But you grew up sleeping on a bed of nails! So what if now you are used to sleeping on a mattress? You should be used to sleeping on nails!" Come on, I obviously headed out ASAP to warmer climates. Life in flip flops for 10 months of the year ain't bad!

Sadly, the fact is that my people (aka the whites of the world) were designed for this weather exactly, right? The origins of us light skinned ones are north, north, and norther. I am a disgrace to my fair skinned ancestors. Then again, I'm probably a disgrace to my fair skinned contemporaries as well considering I 1-would prefer to see whites out of domination in the American government, 2-like to dance (to music other than techno), 3-don't aspire to live in Vanilla-ville, and 4-prefer pretty much any kind of Asian/Middle Eastern/Latin American food to any American or European food (The only African food I've tried is Ethiopian and Moroccan, but safe to say I be I would prefer it as well). Apparently all I've got going for my white-ness is my love of country music... and of course, my ability to tolerate snow IF there are majestic mountains around.

No comments: