Friday, November 05, 2004

The new house and senate

I though you might enjoy a little of my non-research-related-but-still-very-sociological fooling around.

All the stats from here: CNN.com - New Congress more diverse - Nov 5, 2004
First line of the article... "The next Congress will look slightly more like the real America, with more women, Hispanics and blacks, including the first black man to enter the Senate in a quarter century." (I think they need to emphasize the slightly in that, looking at the numbers)

These are the breakdowns on women and minorities in the newly elected Senate and Congress.

The new senate:
14 women
86 men

1 black (democrat)
2 Hispanics (1 democrat, 1 republican)
2 Asians (both democrats)
95 whites

The new house (total 435):
65 women
370 men

40 blacks (all democrats)
23 Hispanics (19 democrats, 4 republicans)
3 Asian Americans (all democrats)
1 Indian American (as in Asian Indian, republican)
368 whites


Clearly there is no race problem or gender equality problem in America anymore, right?

2 comments:

D said...

Are the 14 female senators enough to cook for the 86 male senators?  Can one black man really shine 99 pairs of shoes?  Can two Hispanics mow the lawns of the 98 others?  Can the two Asians be responsible for doing all the math like counting the votes?  Just asking.

RedKev said...

I think the 2 asians actually do the dry cleaning.

Don't women make up more than 50% of the population? I think it is is time to try something different and give women and minorities groups the chance to fix our country. The rich white males sure have done a great job of messing it up. At this point, I am willing to try anything. I would like to see the woman I deliver to at the day care center in third ward everyweek as my president. She never lets me leave without wishing me "a safe and peaceful day" with a great big smile. I couldn't see someone like her bombing and invading another country.