Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Music to quiet myself

I have recently fallen back in love with South African music. Since first introduced by my best friend HEB after her study abroad in Cape Town, I always loved it. I don't buy much music, however, and so my reliance on the radio didn't help feed my interest.

Recently, I have come back to South African music. Life has been more stressful and draining than usual for the past few months, for a variety of reasons. South African music is so calming and peaceful to me. I can't quite pinpoint why, it just has that effect on me.

If you are in need of some rest and calm, I recommend these.

First there is Vusi Mahlasela, a sort of folksie, Indie South African singer. You can listen to several of his songs at his myspace page.
http://www.myspace.com/vusimahlasela
I really love "Everytime."

Next, there is one of my favorites of all time, Ladysmith Black Mambazo. Sadly, I missed their live performance at Princeton a few years ago. I post this not for the video, but just for the music. (I don't know any other way to listen to music online).





I could listen to this music for hours (and sometimes I do!)

No comments: