Monday, July 25, 2005

The girlie girl inside

Somewhere along the way growing up I missed a lot of girly-world. For instance, I never practiced giving an academy award acceptance speech. I never learned to correctly apply eye shadow. I never blow-dried my hair. While I was an avid reader of Teen and YM in middle school, once I quit those subscriptions I never signed up for Cosmo instead. I still don't own any lacy bras. I never had a manicure or pedicure until a few months ago. I've always had some girlie qualities. I can talk on the phone for hours, I love wearing cute skirts, and I love to gossip. But overall, I never qualified as girlie.

Sometime recently I realized I had become much more of a girlie girl. A few things were cues. Once, I lost my liquid eyeliner, and I flipped out! I actually stopped at CVS to buy a new one before going wherever I was going. Next, I found some cute tissues that were bright pink with flowers on them. My thought: "Oh my gosh, these are SO CUTE!" and then I promptly bought them. Third, when I folded a pile of my summer shirts and tank tops out of the laundry, I noticed that besides one brown shirt and one yellow tank top, the entire stack was all various shades of purple and pink.

I pretty much feel lame: who becomes more girly at the age of 22?? Most people are uber girlie when they are fourteen, and grow out of it by 22. I'm apparently throwing convention to the wind: the more professional and serious my career life gets, the more girlie I become. On the other hand, I'm not really losing old things I enjoyed, so there are some strange paradoxes. For instance, I'm an eyeliner obsessed Star Trek fan. Or, in one shopping trip I search for both a laptop with a 2.0 GHz processor and lipstick in the right shade to mach my purple earrings.

So, let this be a tribute to my late girlie-girl coming of age, including wearing a full face of makeup (foundation, blush, eyeshado, eyeliner, powder, mascara, lipstick, the works!) and feeling naked without it, falling in love with the colors pink and purple, wearing a significant amount of jewelry, reading Cosmo, owning multiple purses, dying for laser hair removal, changing my nail polish to match my outfits, loving pedicures, and using multiple hair products post-showering.

One request, however: If I ever wear TWO pieces of pink clothing at once, hang up a picture of a kitten, or wear anything with feathers, please drag me to a pit and throw me in a mud wrestling match.

3 comments:

Michael & Tammi said...

seriously Val, what the fucks wrong with hanging up kitten pictures? don't tell me i'm turning into a girl at the age of 25!

Rococoaster said...

You say: "I'm apparently throwing convention to the wind: the more professional and serious my career life gets, the more girlie I become."

That has been so true for me. Only post college did I start shaving again, start wearing a full face of make up, etc. Since Dallas, I started getting the occasional highlights. My first mani/pedi was for my 30th birthday. True love! I got acrylic nails for about 9 months even! Now tons of my clothes are pink or cutesy. Most of you don't see me in school clothes, but gracious sakes, it's like Charlotte from Sex in the City! What has happened? I still have some residual shame, but that is just how I roll!

D said...

Now you can start selling BeautiControl products. Some chick said she makes $25K A MONTH!