Sunday, July 24, 2005

Everybody Likes Girls

In my social psychology class in college, our professor told us that pretty women sell. "Look at magazines for men. What do you see? Lots of pictures of beautiful women. Look at magazines for women. What do you see? Lots of pictures of beautiful women."

I have a new piece to add to the "everybody likes girls" theory. In my search for an apartment, my ideal situation is to live with one or two girls. And I have noticed that pretty much everyone wants to live with one or two girls. Girls who post ads for apartments almost always are looking for female roommates. Even if they have one guy roommate already there, when they are looking for a second roommate they say things like "Sorry, has to be a girl, I don't want to live with two guys!"

Guys posting also want to live with girls. There are definitely some sketch-balls out there, like some guy who has repeatedly placed his ad looking for a female to share his room. He started out asking for $350 (in a fabulous part of North Jersey where a 1-bedroom usually goes for no less than $1600), also mentioning things like "Should be open to doing things like lounging in her underwear." While Mr. Wants-A-Piece-of-Ass says he's not looking for a girlfriend, he is clearly hardpressed to find a female to share his room, even though he has cut his price to $250 and deleted underwear comments from the ad.

In any case, there are tons of guys who have apartments who prefer female roommates. Why? One can only make some educated guesses. The 700 Club would probably say that these guys are looking to take advantage of a girl, or hopefully catch her in a revealing moment (ie in her skimpy towel between the bathroom and her room). I won't rule that out, but I'm betting there are also some more platonic motives. For instance, girls on the whole are cleaner than guys. Girls are far less likely to be dirty, and less likely to be messy (there is an important distinction between dirty -- ie starting an environment conducive to growing fungus -- and messy -- simply letting clutter pile up). Girls are probably more likely to cook. And while girls have more drama, they probably also are more likely to be the sweet, caring roommate that most people want.

My point: WOULD EVERYONE STOP TAKING WHAT I WANT?!?! I'm a girl, and I should get to live with a few nice girls. Whenever I see an ad where two or three fun/friendly/laid back girls are looking for another roommate, I know that everyone and most of their brothers are replying and hoping to live there. Sheesh. It makes my search quite difficult, when rooms listed for less than a day are already let by the time my email even gets opened.

Would everybody stop liking girls, please?? Just for a few days, so I can find somewhere to live!

2 comments:

D said...

Of course, we both know an example of a girl being both dirtier and messier than her male counterpart.

When I was single and living in apartments, sharing with a girl wasn't even a remote possibility.  But then neither were blow-job parties.  Crazy kids.

Rococoaster said...

screw you, D!
Too bad Monique was such a loser. Something better will turn up! You just drove away an hour ago and (sigh) i'm already missing you.