Thursday, March 31, 2005

Adopting

For much of my life, I have wanted to adopt. Whether one or more, it's always just been something I assumed I would do. As a kid, I viewed adopting a child or children as a convenient way to avoid the excruciatingly painful experience of childbirth. Eventually I got over that fear. I never got over adopting, though.

As a tween/teenager, I somehow read a lot or fiction and non-fiction about kids in foster homes. It made me so sad and angry! Kids who are given up by their parents or taken away from their parents but are not adopted become wards of the state and are put into foster homes. Foster homes are families or single adults who are entrusted by the state to take care of the child. These families/individuals are paid money to cover the living expenses of having another child. Unfortunately, often people will foster parent simply to make money. Some stats on how screwed up foster homes can leave children...
-- Children are 11 times more likely to be abused in foster homes than they are in their own homes. (National Center on Child Abuse and Neglect)
-- 80% of prison inmates have been through the foster care system. (National Association of Social Workers)
-- 30% of the nation’s homeless are former foster children. (Casey Family Programs National Center for Resource Family Support)

How does this relate to adopting? Well, part of the foster care problem could be alleviated by adoption. Since I was a young teen reading stories about foster kids, I knew I wanted to adopt to do a small part.

When I think about adopting, it's completely normal to me. I think of it as perfectly normal to have a child or two of my own and raising them as siblings to a child or two I'd adopted. A friend recently was asking me how it's possible to love a child who is not your own blood as much as you would love a child who is your own. To me, that's never even crossed my mind: I'm choosing to adopt a child, so obviously I would choose to love him or her as my own child.

Knowing families who have adopted and have raised or are raising adopted children alongside their own biological children has only further proved to me how wonderful it can be. The latest was Amy and Eric. These friends of mine are absolutely exceptional as they not only adopted a second baby to raise alongside their biological child Mason, but from the start they wanted to adopt a special needs baby. In the end, they were given a beautiful black baby girl named Maleah. Sometimes when I tell people about Amy and Eric and I think about how humble and serving they are, I get teary eyed. As a Christian I believe I am here to be part of God's hands and heart on the earth carrying out His love and service; Amy and Eric overflow with this selflessness and love. Seeing their family only rekindled my own desire to adopt a baby.

Why adopt? There's so many kids out there needing families... I want to meet at least a little of that need. I'm not particularly attached to my own genes, so I don't mind raising someone elses genes. Here's perhaps my weirdest reason for wanting to adopt. There's a huge population boom, and eventually the earth won't be able to support such a huge human population. So, if I want more than two kids, I would most certainly adopt; I don't want to contribute to population explosion!

Well, that's about it as far as my desire to adopt. I'm smiling now, because I get happy thinking about adoption and the Hartleys and all.

7 comments:

D said...

Attachment to one's own genes has always struck me as slightly insane.  I think everyone should adopt.  I get really angry when I hear about all the money spent by couples on fertility when we already have too many humans and there are plenty of kids in need of homes.  Cohen and I always said that if we ever changed our minds about having kids, we'd adopt.  But then, she's already adopted you and Clara and Blake, etc.

What happened to the cell phone post?  Did you deem it not up to snuff, or are you revamping it?  Speaking of cell phones, has yours become unable to make outgoing calls?  Ahem, ahem.

Valerie said...

yes, cell phone post is being revamped. and i'll work on mine making outgoing phone calls. ;)

Anonymous said...

oooh.beck just came on in flightpath. i am obsessed with him.so i think the reason why i get so many comments is because i'm on xanga and the entire asian community is on xanga [and we all seem to be connected somehow].also, alot of my friends are always on the internet, constantly checking for updates. it should be noted that half the people who comment on my page are people i hardly see or talk to. high comments on my page probably occur b/c i comment heavily on other people's pages. be jealous!

can i just say, i really enjoy your posts. =))))))

RedKev said...

I think a lot of the problem with the foster care system is that people don't want to adopt older children. Most of the babies in foster care get adopted when compared to the number of older children to be adopted. It is even harder to take on an older child though, so most people don't try.
As for fertility treatment, I think it should be illegal as long as there are people giving up kids for adoption and having abortions and kids dying from malnutrition around the world. I have always viewed it as completely selfish. How vain is it that one would go to such lengths to continue on genes that were possibly not meant to reproduce? Natural selection has made many species stronger up to this point in time. Do we really want to start reversing it?

Anonymous said...

where the heck are you?? Call a brother up some time!!
Oh, and I've had your earphones for oh about three weeks now - based on the assumption that i was going to see you at church the next day - sorry.
Don't be a stranger!
Steve

D said...

Did you finish Unbearable?  What'd you think?  I've noticed that The Mahabharata hasn't made it to your sidebar yet.

Anonymous said...

what poor steve and d fail to realise is that you've been incommunicado a hell of a lot longer than i have. nice post, though. preach it!