Friday, July 16, 2004

The Melon Lesson

I should have known. The cantaloupe was on sale at Super Target for $1. I was there to pick up some washer fluid for my poor sap stained windshield, but a nice prominent table was set up in the front with melons. Cantaloupe for $1, honeydew for $2. As someone who eats at least a melon or two a week, I knew that cantaloupe price was practically unbeatable. So I bought one of each.

Melons are great to snack on or to put in plain yogurt. Yum. When I buy them, I usually immediately cut them up into pieces and put them in a tupperware container my fridge. Cutting a cantaloupe is always enjoyable for me. Cantaloupes are usually very soft inside, and so knives go through easily and make it a pleasant process. Honeydews are less soft, and more of an ordeal to chop up. As a result, I eat far less honeydew. In fact, I don’t even really like honeydew. I have a fond memory from my childhood of soft, juicy green honeydew, and I keep buying honeydew in search of that. But as of yet, I’ve only found rather crunchy, sort of green, bland honeydew melons.

Yesterday I started with the cantaloupe. I knew there were problems when it was hard to slice. By the end of chopping the cantaloupe, I was pretty tired. And I still had a freakin’ honeydew to go! I got through it, but it took me a long time, and I was not excited to eat it. I tried a piece of the cantaloupe, and I’m sure a look of horror crossed my face when I realized this cantaloupe tasted like North Servery (Rice's on-campus dining) cantaloupe: too crisp, not sweet enough, not orange enough. Yuck. I didn’t even try a piece of honeydew. I threw the tupperware in the fridge and tried not to think about how I would get through all that melon.

The obvious yet learned-the-hard-way moral of the story: if you go somewhere to buy car stuff, you probably don't want their produce.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Val, it's Carrie...I bought a cantaloupe for $.97 at HEB and it was the sweetest thing I have ever eaten...hence your moral :)

RedKev said...

Usually, the lower the price on produce, the better the quality. Produce follows the opposite of the rule of supply and demand. When the quality is best, the market is flooded with one fruit or vegetable because it is in season, then the price goes way down so they can actually sell them all. It takes some getting used to, but it usually the rule that cheap produce is better quality. It sounds like maybe you just got screwed.

Yet more things you can learn in life from running a restaurant.

Rococoaster said...

You are so precious! I would have chunked the whole thing. Clearly they were not ripe enough. A couple of days in a brown paper bag usually helps. Especially with peaches and tomatoes. I sure do love you!